An au pair must be responsible, caring and above all, love children. During your interview with Au Pair Link, we will assess your attributes and attitude required to become a successful au pair as well as validate your interest in caring for children.
As an au pair you must be flexible and willing to dedicate your time to your host family and their children – often becoming a significant part of their lives and family.
- Being outgoing
- Takes initiative
- Open minded
- You must be between 18 and 30 years old (Please note, Germany and United States have a limit of 26 and France have a limit of 27)
- Have a clean police record
- Have a valid driver’s license (preferable especially in the United States and Australia)
- Have a minimum of 200 hours of documented childcare experience (exact requirements vary between programmes)
- Willing to commit to the full au pair programme placement term (minimum term varies per country)
Some countries have additional requirements – for country specific details and information please talk to our team on email@example.com.
The primary duty of an au pair is to care for the child or children of your host family. You may be in sole charge of the children or in a shared charge or “mothers help” position.
- Waking the children in the morning and helping them to get dressed
- Preparing meals for the children
- Helping the children take care of their belongings and tidy their room
- Cleaning general communal areas such as the kitchen, living room, hall way, play room, children’s room and bathroom
- Taking the children to day-care, kindergarten, school and other activities such as sport
- Playing, reading and encouraging the children with their homework as well as maintaining family rules (such as limited TV watching, bedtimes etc)
- Babysitting in the evenings
- Helping with the household grocery shopping
- Washing and organising the child’s clothes and bedding
As an au pair you are generally not responsible for housework that does not relate to the children or communal living areas (that are kept tidy by all family members). Your primary duty is to take care of the children in the home of your host family and help with light housework relating to the children.
Why choose Au Pair Link?
- Learn or develop a new language
- Explore the world and have fun travelling with and making new friends
- Learn about a new country and their way of life as part of a local family
- Earn a wage and get free room and board to help you travel and study abroad
- Take responsibility caring for children – helping them learn and grow
- Organise activities with children
- Develop life-skills and become more independent
- Prepare yourself for a career in childcare and increase your experience
- We are New Zealand’s largest au pair agency
- We were the first member of the International Au Pair Association in Australasia
- We also founded the New Zealand Au Pair Association www.nzapa.org.nz
- Au Pair Link truly care about the well-being of our au pairs
- Au Pair Link has some of the biggest and best partnerships worldwide offering you a great choice of programmes and countries
- We offer programmes in North America, Europe, the UK, Australia and Asia!
- We make it simple and easy for you – we can book your flights, arrange insurance and help you with your visa application